vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Volkswagen Jetta GL wagon AZG: I have a 2001 jetta Wagon AZG

Customer Question

I have a 2001 jetta Wagon AZG engine and a blue VAG COM cable and am using VCDS lite. Not full capable. anyway. I have an automatic and needed t replace the coolant pump. I did that and I want to know if I have the timing set right. THe vag com is reading around 10 BTDC between 9 and 11 ..varies a bit. In the picture to the left of me on my screen. It is showing a little oval with a line as being a timing mark on transmission side of the engine. I'm assuming this mark is located on the edge of the torque convertor. SOOOO I put this mark on the torque convertor all the way to the left ..left being to the front of the car.... of the little rectangle shaped viewing window and aligned my marks up on the other end ..the cam sprocket... is this correct? I did not take the lower pulley off..I did it this way... Is the little circle with the linw supposed to be at the edge of the viewing window for correct timing on AZG? or should have it been in the middle of the window. I noticed there is a larger square shaped bump about an inch or so from this circle with a line mark.... Is my timing set right or do I need to change this. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE stuff... I want it to be set to factory specs. help me please.
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!
The half moon should be right in the middle , you can use this mark but i usually like to use the mark on the cam gear to the valve cover and the mark on the crank pulley that lines up to the timing cover above the crank pulley they both have a notch on it . Have you lined both of the marks up on the crank and cam before removing the belt ??