Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

Volkswagen Beetle 2.5: My 2006 beetle 2.5 when it cold outside

Customer Question

My 2006 beetle 2.5 when it cold outside the heat on blows cold and idle and when it hot our the ac on blows cold when the fans comes on
Category: VW
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
hello, can you retype your issue, it is somewhat unclear , there are a few typing errors and i want to make sure i understand what you are saying.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 2006 beetle with the 2.5 engine in it. When it cold outside the heat blows cold at idle and when u rasie rhe Rpms it will blow hot. The opposite happen is on warmer days. The AC only blows cold air when the cooling fan click on. I was wondering if a senor was bad .
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
ok great thanks!!, ok you have 2 separate issues,
1- the waterpump has a plastic impeller and always always breaks so you get minimal flow until you raise the rpms, so you will need a waterpump replaced.
2- the cooling fans may be bad as they have tyo function as soon as you turn the av on to cool down the ac condenser located in front of the radiator or else the ac will not blow cold. so waterpump and cooling fans are what you most likely will find is hour issue, also always replace the coolant temperature sensor, they are always going bad and bay contribute to overheating issues or cooling issues in the future. hope this helps.
Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉
Keep in mind that rating me does not end the chat, it simply credits me for assisting, i will still be here to help if follow up information is needed , Lou
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check the water pump work fine the coolant is flowing great. How can I check if the fan is bad. Also I wa told the lines may have air in it
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
how did you check the waterpump???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took of the hose on the over flow tank to see if the coolant was flowing. Flow at idle and flowed more as I raised the rpms
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
ok, that is not a reliable test, you will need to physically remove the waterpump, see the impeller cracks and either falls apart or it just spins on the shaft, so when you remove a hose to check, it takes out the restriction so the pump will work fine but it will not work fine in a closed system, also replace the thermostat and make sure you use vw pink coolant or the heater core will clog, also, check the fuse box on top of the battery, the ac compressor fuse is inside of their and also the fan fuse, its possible the fuse box is melting causing a poor connection, it is very common.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the waterpump is bad wouldn't it run hot
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
not necessarily. the engine is very small and requires little flow to cool itself down, but to get flow to go through the heater core takes more effort , if you are not liking my suggestions let me know and i will opt out. i am offering you information to help you, not waste your time, i will opt out, another expert will be along soon to assist.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
i have opted out, hopefully another expert can assist better than i have to get you taken care of. Lou