Trev
Trev, Motor Technician
Experience:  NVQ3, City And Guilds, Authorised MOT NT
15853224

Volkswagen Beetle: I have a 98 VW beetle. The ecm (electronic

Customer Question

I have a 98 VW beetle. The ecm (electronic control module) got fried when I tried to charge a crap battery and in the process burnt out some diodes in the ecm that I replaced. The car runs now which it didn't until I changed the diodes. Now the windows won't operate, the mirrors won't operate, the fuel door won't work and the trunk latch won't work or the interior lights. It's like I have no power to any of those accessories. I disconnected the battery and jumped the leads to discharge any capacitors but still nothing. I also have a check engine light on but doubt if that has anything to do with my current problem. All the fuses are good. Is it the ecu? (environmental control module) Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll be out in my shop scratching my head and cussing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forget the phone call. Please just type your suggestions. Thanks
Expert:  Trev replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Welcome to just answer
The problem you are having is most likely to be a BCM fault (body control module)
The BCM that controls all the items that are not working on your car is built into the fuse box inside the car, it's a programmable part, so swapping it for another one won't work unless you have access to vag com software to reprogram it.
The best course of action is to send it to a specialist such as ACTronics to be repaired, this way it is plug and play and won't need to be programmed.
Hope this helps, if you need more info please let me know.
Trev