Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical
47606789

My 87 vanagon alternator has charging problems.The van died

Customer Question

my 87 vanagon alternator has charging problems.The van died on the road and we determined that the battery was not being charged. A mechanic decided my battery isolator was bad and connected the alternator positive lead to the main battery positive lead that goes to the starter . The ground wire was difficult to establish a good connection, but finally the alternator started charging (we could hear the load increase on the alternator). The van ran fine the next 2-days, then sat for a week. I then experienced the red dash lights for the battery and OXS coming back on, as they had the first time the problem occurred. I have taken apart the ground wires and cleaned them. I disconnected, cleaned and checked the positive lead to the starter. But nothing I have done has resulted in eliminating the problem of no charging. The alternator is showing 12.05 volts as is the battery. I have disconnected the negative wire on the battery when the van is running and the engine
immediately dies.
Ideas?
Category: VW
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am at your service to assist with your VW problems. Welcome to Just Answer.
The problem with the alternator might be the voltage regulator. It's the small black thing that contains the brushes at the back of the alternator. To remove it there are two screws holding it into position.
The diodes do not usually give problems so this should rectify the problem but if you need more information do not hesitate to ask.
Greetings,
Martin.