Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Volkswagen New Beetle: 2001 beetle 2.0, turns over and doesn't

Customer Question

2001 beetle 2.0, turns over and doesn't start, replaced crankshaft position sensor and it ran fine now it seems to be doing the same thing could the sensor go bad in a week? thanks Brad
Category: VW
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brad, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience and I'm here to help with this problem. Additional services may be offered for detailed information.
From your description it sounds like replacing the engines speed sensor aka crankshaft position sensor is where the problem lies. Considering that it won't start with starting fluid is an indication that there is no spark. Yes it is possible for a new sensor to fail in one week depending on the quality of the part.
With an OHM meter you can check the sensors resistance between the number 2 & 3 terminals with the sensor disconnected. You should see 480 to 1000 ohm's of resistance on the AEG engines and 730 to 1000 on the AVH and AGZ engines sensor. You can also check the sensor with the engine cranking for an AC signal. With a voltmeter on the AC setting and the sensor disconnected check the AC signal between the number 2 & 3 terminals of the sensors harness with the engine spinning over. There should be 800 millivolts AC voltage minimum. 1.5 to 2.5 volts AC is preferred. The link below is an illustration of the harness connector and its terminal numbers.
Engine Speed Sensor Connector
http://tinyurl.com/ojqb4xa
I hope this information is helpful to you.
Should you have any questions please let me know.
Thanks so much.