vwbugman
vwbugman, VW Technician
Experience:  35 years experience on VW air cooled and water cooled repair and restoration
13224258

Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T: A/C doesn't blow cold. Checked low

Customer Question

A/C doesn't blow cold. Checked low and high side pressures. LS/HS 70/450. When the HS drops to 340 then the compressor kicks in. The LS climps to 95 while the HS drops to 340 again. Cycle repeats.
NOTE: After I turned car off the LS stayed at 95 while the HS dropped from 340 to130. Sounds like next step is putting a vacuum pump to it. What do you think is going wrong ?
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I send a video of the A/C readings?
Expert:  vwbugman replied 1 year ago.
Ok. The first thing I need to know is if the car has been worked on. Next when you turn the ac on do the Radiator
ator fans run?
Hello there,
Welcome to our site. I just finished reading your question and I need a little more information. Can you please let me know...
-What year is your VW?
-What model is your VW?
-How many miles are on your VW?
-What type of engine is in your VW?
-What have you already tried?
And thank you for trusting me with your problem. I am passionate about what I do and am looking forward to helping you in any way I can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the car A/C hasn't been worked on. Yes, the fans come on.2010
Jetta###-##-####Jetta has the 2 Lit engine
I explained what I've tried in the original question.
Added Freon
Checked for leaks with dye through the LP
Checked pressures through gauges.
Expert:  vwbugman replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the addtional questions in the info section. They are automatic questions. It looks like you've added freon. You must evacuate and charge to the proper amount. Just a few grams can cause an overcharge. Do you know the readings before you added freon? Just looking at your readings, I would say your compressor is faulty. The compressor runs all the time and they are prone to failure. If the readings are equalizing, the compressor is failing internally. I'm not sure why your readings are so high. Make sure the condensor is clean and the fans are running. Until you get the proper amount of freon in the system, I can't tell exactly what the compressor is doing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I'll evacuate the system. I'll take another leak test after the vacuum has finished zeroing out the gauges. If not leak I'll recharge the system to 20oz per Advance Auto. Then add 3oz off Pag 46. Then I'll let you know what the gauges read.Your question regarding the gauges before the Freon were around 50 on the LS and 300 or so on the HS. Air was blowing in cabin at 120 degrees. After Freon the air adjusted to 60 degrees. However, the gauge readings got higher after Freon. Thanks and I'll get started on the vacuum and get back to you in a little while.
Expert:  vwbugman replied 1 year ago.
Do not add any oil. If the system has not been opened you don't need to. I doubt you have a leak. Under the hood there should be a stick that should tell how many grams of freon. Don't go by what parts stores tell you. It should be 500 to 700 grams. You can convert it.
Expert:  vwbugman replied 1 year ago.
If it's the 2.0 gas engine . 500 grams. or 1.15 pounds
tdi diesel is the same
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it. Couldn't vacuum the system today because I have a can of freon attacted to the yellow intake hose. Don't have another yellow hose to hook up for vacuum. Need to see if I can find a single hose in Amazon.
Expert:  vwbugman replied 1 year ago.
You must have an evacuation pump to sucks down the system and a freon scale to recharge the system accurately
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a evacuation pump. Thanks.