gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Volkswagen Passat GLX: 97 vw Passat; 1st fan runs long time

Customer Question

97 vw Passat; 1st fan runs long time after engine turned off/ multi tries before engine catches; then I noticed brake /airbags warning lights come on & stay on MOST of the time; I had to jump car several times; bought new battery last week & I have had to jump it once since replacing batter/ last night temp light started flashing (temp aprox 200, this morning temp light on as soon as I start the car(?)
ahhhh where do I start first
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 2 years ago.
I am assuming this is a VR6 (tight angle) , not a V6 (wide V, separate heads)
I'm thinking you have a problem with your coolant temp sensor, which is in a housing on the front of the block. It is relatively hard to get to from the top and bottom, but usually accessed from the top by removing a couple hoses and wiring brackets.
For the brake and airbag warnings, you will have to have those systems scanned for faults- otherwise you are just throwing (expensive) parts at the systems without any idea- and faults would have to be cleared anyway to see if they come back or not even after parts replaced.