vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Volkswagen Beetle: Paul, are you available_¿?

Customer Question

Paul, are you available_¿
?
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked for spark at the plugs? Does the tachometer move when you crank the vehicle? Does the Check Engine light come on when you turn the key on, then go off (self check of systems)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the late response.

I went to autozone and bought an inline spark tester.. there is no spark at at all. when i put the key in the ignition, it seems to run the self check just fine, the engine light is the only one that stays on. but, i already had problems w/ it. the other ones come on and turn off. When i try to start, i see the rpms jump a little.. one or two bars.. that's like 200 rpm i think. and that's about it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
it's been over 24 hours since last response.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
The crank sensor you replaced- located just above the oil pan on the front side of the block?
Are you able to check faults again to see if the crank sensor is reading?
Is the engine cranking over at normal speed, faster than normal, slower? (by your experience, not based on a scan tool reading)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

crankshaft sensor i replaced was front of car, about 6 inches to the right of oil filter. I'm not able to see if the car senses a fault on the sensor again since i no longer have a test tool. my car cranks just the same as it did before. i'm honestly no noticing any difference.

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Have you or the mechanic checked the timing, and the condition of the timing belt? How any miles are on this? The belt is normally changed every 105k if not before, and I have seen teeth strip off of these and cause the timing to skip or strip all the teeth off and only the crank spins.

Was this non-starting a sudden issue, or were there slow symptoms before it started happening? I'm wondering if you have a bad coil, or if the wiring to the crank speed sensor is itself damaged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

mechanic did check the timing belt and it was in good condition.. I bought the car used just last year so, I wouldn't know how many miles are on the current timing belt. I usually only drive it about 2 miles a week. at most

this was a sudden thing. I was driving and the car suddenly died. I pulled over and it did not want to start... should I be checking voltages on the wire of the crankshaft? I do have a volt meter...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
I really haven't gotten a more concrete answer or where to start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked crankshaft voltage and ground.. ground is fine and i do get some voltage on pins 1 and 2. i believe it was 2.6 volts.