Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

Volkswagen Passat 2.0T: Hey Eric, My car started making

Customer Question

Hey Eric,
My car started making a weird noise when accelerating, specifically when the turbo started spooling. It was like a really raspy sound, like air was blowing out of something it shouldnt be blowing out of. Two days later it popped and my car sounded like it had a hole in the exhaust. When I got under it turns out the catalytic converter broke off from its flange that it is bolted into the turbo with. This is not something I can do myself at home since I don't have a bridge and therefore can't get the right angle to reach all the bolts. I've tried going to a vw dealership but they sent me packing saying I gotta replace it for 1500 or even more or try and have it welded at a muffler shop. I tried two muffler shops and they say the weld wont hold. Car is an 06 with only 55000 miles. Is there a recall on this or anything I can do to have it fixed for free or cheap.
Category: VW
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Unfortunately there are no recalls on the converter for your vehicle and it is past the 8yr federal emissions warranty.
The muffler shops are correct that a weld wont hold - I tried a couple of times for customers and the weld breaks within a week.
Your least expensive option is to have an aftermarket direct fit converter installed.
Below is a link to one that runs $338. labor to install it will be about $160
http://www.catalyticconverterwarehouse.com/ShopByVehicle.epc?sup=WHD&mode=PG&yearid=2006@@2006&makeid=83@@VOLKSWAGEN@@B&modelid=15105@@PASSAT&engineid=34235@@L4-1984cc%202.0L%20F/I%20TURBO%20Vin%20BPY@@34235
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks