vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

Volkswagen Beetle 2.5: I have a 2010 beetle convertible. A

Customer Question

I have a 2010 beetle convertible. A couple of days ago the chime ceased to sound when i bring the top down. Strangely, it continues to sound when i bring the top back up. What is causing the chime to only work when i bring the top up and not work when i bring the top down? How can I fix this and what is the cost?
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VW service told me it would cost $1,400 to get this fixed! The car only has 49k miles on it. Can't believe the estimate.
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer !
There is a lot of micro switches in the top system for this vehicle , do you know which faults you had in the top module ? Or what they are trying to replace ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't remember if the service manager mentioned it. All I remember was that it was a switch that needed to be replaced. I have left a message with the manager to see if he can be more specific. Will let you know as soon as I hear back. Apparently he's at lunch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He called back but was not very specific. All he said was it was a right rear switch. As an experienced VW mechanic, what are the chances that this could fail in a car that in my opinion is still relatively new. Are you able to provide any more information than what was included in your response?
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.
Did he mention anything about a flap switch ? Or anything like that ? There are many micros witches in this vehicle that can cause the issue you are having am
Just trying to see if you need a switch located on one of the hinges which is why it's pricey .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing about a flap was mentioned however the service order states internal electrical failure to the right rear convertible locking module. Recommend replacement of the locking module. Cost $ 1,463.00
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.
Ok the locking motor is pricey that's why the repair is expensive and the rear seat bottom and back have to be removed including the side window trim panel to access the locking motor that's why the repair is so expensive . The locking motor is not latching the top when it goes down and causing the issue you are having it has build in microswirches inside of motor latch mechanism that when they don't recognize the latching the top does not work properly . I hope this helps .
Please don't forget to provide positve feedback for the help provided we as experts rely on this feedback for our families thank you