Randy
Randy, Auto Specialist
Experience:  25 Years Experience Automotive Technology.
62741268

Volkswagen Jetta 2.5: I have a 2006 Jetta, Automatic, I need

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Jetta, Automatic, I need to pull behind an RV. I see you can't use a dolly?
Category: VW
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** certified automotive professional with over 25 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this.
The best option for towing will be using a tow bar however if your vehicle isn't suitable for flat towing, there are devices, including driveshaft decouplers and transmission lubrication pumps that can be added to some automatic transmission vehicles to handle the job.
The devices can be expensive and complicated to install and maintain, though. And if they're not used correctly, the engine or drivetrain components can be damaged while a vehicle is being towed. That can leave owners with warranty problems.
If you've already got a vehicle you'd like to flat tow and it isn't factory rated as suitable for flat towing, most RV dealerships and repair centers carry and can install decouplers, lubrication pumps and other such devices.
If you are looking for a towable vehicle, it's best to concentrate on those that are factory-ready.
Check your 2006 Jetta owners manual in the towing section to see if it is compatible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have done the research that states a Automatic Jetta cannot be flat towed, I asked in my question if a car dolly is possible. Do you know if that is possible?

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
ok, sorry for the confusion. Yes, the VW Jetta can be towed on a dolly. The Jetta is a front wheel drive which will keep the automatic transaxle safe during towing with on the back wheels on the ground.