Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw/ audi specialist
84635724

Volkswagen 5 cylinder TDI: ,My 2004 Touareg 5 cylinder

Customer Question

My 2004 Touareg 5 cylinder TDI cranks but doesn't start until about 20 seconds of continued cranking. Once it starts it runs fine. It feels as if there is no diesel coming/going to the engine straight away. Please could you avise?
Category: VW
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Kevin it sounds as though the engine is struggling to build fuel pressure when cold .the first test needed is an injector leak off test.this test measures the unused fuel being returned to tank from each injector. When an injector fails internally it tends to allow fuel to return to tank at too higher rate making it very difficult for pump to reach correct fuel pressure to start. If you don't have access to this tool they can be purchased online for slightly more than a garage would charge to carry out this test this link shows the type of tool you will require
http://www.toolandfix.com/sealey-vs2048-diesel-injection-leak-back-master-kit-bosch-delphi-denso.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=COfviqqFycUCFSbnwgodRrMAPg
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Did this help you please remember to rate my service and come back if you need any further help