gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Volkswagen Passat: there, I have a 2004 Passat 1.8T. Facing

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a 2004 Passat 1.8T. Facing the front of the car, the fan on the left side near air filter will not shut off. I think this is a cooling fan? I have tried unplugging the cooling fan temp sensor. I also accessed the relay boards. The relay labels did not correspond with the illustrations but I tried pulling the 370 and 373(?) relays anyway. No luck. I see on your post a reference to a "coolant fan control" but can't seem to find it. Is that my next step? Thanks so much for your help! Bob Miller
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
Which coolant temp sensor/switch did you unplug? The one on the radiator? Or the one behind the head?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The one attached to the lower radiator hose. Wasn't aware of one behind the head. Could you give me a little guidance on that? Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I found the sensor behind the head. That did not stop the fan. I am to the point of wanting to replace the coolant fan control module as my last best hope. But I cannot figure out where it is. Lot's of different locations online, any help? I am running out of time. Thanks!
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
First, check the fuses mounted on the battery fuse block, a couple of them affect the fan operation.
The fan control module is located on the driver side, frame rail on the underside. Two large connectors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the problem Thursday. It was the auxiliary air fan relay located next to the computer. $8.49. I just didn't know the questions to ask, but I went down the street and bought a Chilton for $25. Figured it out in 20 minutes. I am out $66 to just answer that I cannot afford. Lesson learned.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
$66? Did you pay for a subscription? In any case, until you "accept" my answer with a positive response, your deposit is still with JA and can be used on any other category as well.
You can always contact customer service if you are dissatisfied or want to refund your deposit