John, VW Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech, VW master tech
20104412

Volkswagen New beetle gls: . I have a 2000gls Vw new beetle.

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2000gls Vw new beetle. The instrument cluster is bad. I got a 99' cluster from salvage & tested good. Dealer here in Hawaii wants me to buy new $800 cluster plus $180+in labor. I'm not sure what my options are, but seems high price to change out cluster
Category: VW
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for choosing Just answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your vehicle
That's about right for the cluster, but the labor is only an hour to do the job. That includes programming it to the car and keys to the vehicle. The issue you have is the 2000 cluster is for an immobilizer vehicle. Your cluster doesn't have a immobilizer in it and it won't program to the vehicle. It looks like they are charging you about an 1.5 hours to do the job
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Making a deposit doesn't pay me. If you’re satisfied with this answer, I would appreciate it if you would take the time to rate my service accordingly, as this is how I get paid. Thank you
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else you need
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
If you’re satisfied with this answer, I would appreciate it if you would take the time to rate my service accordingly, as this is how I get paid. Thank you