gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition: My 99 VW jetta Wolfsburg

Customer Question

My 99 VW jetta Wolfsburg keeps honking 3 times in a row and I can't figure out what's causing it. It still does it even when the horn is disabled. Sometimes it will stop and go days without honking and then it starts again. The hazard lights flash when it honks
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
check to see if one of your door lock cylinders is broken, or stuck turned to one direction or the other. The three honks and flashing is an indicator used when you have a key in the ignition, key in the door, and hold it to the unlock position- in order to add a new remote to the system. If you have a broken key cylinder the latch may wander to that position and stay there and throw the signal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it continue to honk even while the car is driving if that were the case? I had trouble with the key ignition so a mechanic bypassed the ignition starter and installed a button I push to start the car. I turn the key to the accessories position and then push the button. My car only has a key lock on the drivers side door. I've tried locking/unlocking but it still honks. Would disabling the alarm system get rid of the honking?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand why your mechanic didn't just replace the ignition switch to fix the starting issue. I would inspect the wiring from the ignition switch to make sure there are no broken wires, the tilt/telescoping wheel tends to flex the wiring.
It's always best to fix the car to factory spec rather than to run new circuits- The issue is in the comfort module, I would scan it and see if you have any faults