gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Vw golf diesel: my 2002 tdi has a hard time starting the first

Customer Question

my 2002 tdi has a hard time starting the first time. A lot of smoke comes out the exhaust while cranking.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
Once it is started, is the check engine light on? DO you feel like it has normal power?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

engine light is off. Car runs normal. mileage is 42 mpg.

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like one of your injectors may be leaking down when turned off- the pressure that is in the system allows the fuel to drain out the injector, and it takes a little to get the pressure back up to the injectors, and in the meantime that fuel flooding in the cylinder is not burning very well.
it's hard to isolate the injectors- with a pressure tester inline you could verify that the injectors are leaking down (shut off the line, and see if pressure drops) but that would only test the whole injector bank. It's possible that on a weekend you could park the car, and then pull glow plugs in the morning and see which cylinder has fluid in it.
Or if you had a scan tool you could read the cylinder contribution to see if there is a difference in one of the cylinders when trying to start.