gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 2003 VW Jetta 2.0L GLS. Last night I replaced all

Customer Question

I have a 2003 VW Jetta 2.0L GLS. Last night I replaced all the tail lights (Except for the Center High Mounted one). I start it up, pull just outside my driveway to see my lights better. All worked. This morning, less than 10 hours later, the care will not start. It cranks and cranks, but never turns over. After releasing the key, a loud squeal sound comes from under the hood. When I turn the care to "on" position, I can hear the fuel pump. When I am cranking the engine, the RPM needle does not move a millimeter. I'm stumped.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
The "squeal" sounds like a starter problem. Do you hear any sound of the starter spinning, or the engine turning over faster than normal?How many miles on this 2003?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like a normal start-up, but it just keeps cranking without turning over. This car has 119500. It may be a bit quicker, but my memory is failing me.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
Take the upper timing belt cover off, or at least move it to the side- make a mark on the belt with a pen or crayon or marker- and try cranking it over again. See if the mark moves.If you have never had the timing belt replaced, it may have just stripped all the teeth off the lower end, and just the crank is spinning- in which case all your valves have been bent. I see it all the time, belts are due at 105k, on the 1.8T it is worse as it happens just over 70k.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I made 2 marks, both times they moved. The 2nd time, I could see the mark and it moved about 8 inches.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Additionally, I was able to fully remove the top timing belt cover and recorded a video of the belt while I tried starting it and I saw that the belt followed the gears.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
Sorry- I responded to you yesterday but it never went through. I am assuming the "check engine light" comes on when you turn the key on and does it's self-check. If that is the case, but still no start, judging from your lack of tach pulse I would say the crank speed sensor on the front of the block is bad. When it goes out of resistance spec the engine will not start or run
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
Test