vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have an 01 passat. I have a leak.

Customer Question

I have an 01 passat. I have a leak. It drives strong. strong odor of burning fliuid... Had the valve cover gaskets changed, no luck..This is a very light brown fluid. When the car was in the air, i pointed out to the mechanic, around the front of the trans, there was a cable of wires, maybe 10 colors, I was told that maybe the problem. That the seal maybe leaking he unpluged the connector and showedhow it was routed into the tranny, This was going to be a major job, that this cable line went into the tranny pan and everthing would have to come down,  John

Category: VW
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
on the back side of the head is a cam shaft adjustment motor. Under this adjuster there is a half moon seal that leaks causing oil to drip onto the cat converter. To correct this issue requires removal of both cams and the cam adjustment motor to replace the gasket and seal under it. Very expensive repair for a simple problem.