vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I had a question concerning Diesel fuel, and how

Customer Question

Hello, I had a question concerning Diesel fuel, and how dangerous it was to use. I just bought a new Golf TDI, Diesel. I filled up for the first time, and the fuel seemed to have a stronger odor then I was used to. Some of it leaked on the side of the
car and got on the paint, and some may have gotten on my hand as well. ( This is not uncommon when filling up in general I just did not know if it was any different in terms of safety when dealing with Diesel fuel.) I also noticed that the nozzle of the pump
did not go in to the gas tank hole as far as I am used to with a regular gas car. Mostly I was worried about safety for myself when I am dealing with it. Thanks for any advice.
Category: VW
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
There are normally two sizes of the nozzles at the stations. Look for the smaller nozzle that will fit better into your car. Diesel is flammable but not as bad as gasoline. I have a TDI and also a Diesel truck and I carry latex or rubber gloves when fueling. Many diesel pumps are dirty and not cleaned very well. As for your car paint, you should remove it as quickly as possible to prevent damage to the paint. Wash your hands with a good soap and water. Safety notices claim that long term exposure to fuels can cause cancer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it burn your skin? Have u ever got it on yourself? How concerning is eating food after fueling if u had some in your hands? Is diesel more toxic then regular fuel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So far im getting about 33mpg which seems low but the car is only a week old
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The gloves is a good idea, ill do that!
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
The fuel on your skin can burn or cause itching. You should wash your hands very well before handling food. Diesel fuel is not as refined as gasoline but it is still very toxic. Your fuel mileage is a little low but it could be that the car is still new. Depending on your driving habits you should be able to see 45 - 50 MPG. as for gloves I like using the thick latex gloves called Thicksters. You can find them at Napa Auto Parts or many other auto parts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have u got it on your hands? You make it sound like diesel is less toxic the regular gas ( which ive syphoned before with a hose ) and also used to remove paint from the skin. Would you ever syphon diesel with your mouth or would it be deadlier then reg gas? Thats for the advice. How do i know if ive got it all off my hands? Ive washed them multiple times . Thanks again fir your patience
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Personally Knowing what gasoline and diesel can do I would never attempt to do that. Diesel is very oily and when you get it on your hands you will know, it is slippy and very smelly. Both diesel and gas come from crude oil, but gas is more refined, so both are very toxic and should never get in your mouth. Gasoline will remove spray paints and glue, but is much more flammable than diesel. Gasoline can ignite with a static spark where diesel requires higher temp to ignite,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great explanation. So its not that diesel is more toxic then gasoline, its just different? But it can be tougher to remove the smell from skin or clothes? I am a bit paranoid about chemicals i guess. If im on the road, is normal resteraunt bathroom soap enough to cleanthe skin?
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Yes normal soap will clean off the fuel, but the smell if you get on cloths can be difficult to remove. Always better to be safe than sorry, if you are not sure always wash your hands and or anything thing else that makes contact with the chemical(s). I am a full time technician and always wear gloves even when working on cars. Long term exposure can cause many issues later in life. As a formal fire fighter, we always used gloves, so that kinda stuck with me when I became a full time technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks great advice, i really appreciate your time. Im sure you have dealt with many nasty substances. In general, do you like your golf TDI?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you use a new pairs of gloves for every fueling? Or do you reuse the gloves?
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
I have a Jetta TDI wagon, 5 speed. I love it. Drove it from So Calif last year to Ohio and Michigan. Averaged 43 miles per gallon the trip, over 5,000 miles. Car has 260,000 miles and still going strong. It is an 03 last year of this motor a little low on power compared to the newer TDIs, but it does very well. As for the gloves, I try to use them every time, my wife does not like to fuel the car because of the smell and dirty nozzles. For the most part I do use them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And youll use a new pair of gloves each fueling, or reuse the pair you have? Im in michigan too
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
I am in So Calif. I used disposable latex gloves.http://www.amazon.com/SAS-Safety-6603-Thickster-Textured/dp/B0002STTW0 I sued Med but are available from small to extra large.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, for some reason I seem unable to rate the question. The stars are all greyed out? What can I do?