Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical
47606789

My 2004 Beetle has an intermittent starting problem, when it

Customer Question

My 2004 Beetle has an intermittent starting problem, when it starts and I drive it the car drives great. But when I park it and start sometimes it won't start at all. I think the problem is getting worse. Usually, my husband give it a jump with the cables, But it doesn't respond immediately, it takes several tries. I have replaced, the battery, the starter, and fuel pump . the car still has the same problem. Can you offer suggestions of what to do?
Category: VW
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.It is hard to say what the problem might be. I can offer you some ideas that you can inspect. On the battery hold down there are some fuses check to see if any of them are loose and or making bad contact inspect for corrosion. When you crank the engine and the car does not start observe what the rev-counter does it should read while you crank the engine around 50-100 rpm. If the rev-counter does not read then the crank shaft sensor might be faulty, the crank shaft sensor work in a hot area and the heat damaged the sensor. One can also have the system scanned to see if there are any fault codes stored in the ECM.These are the things that comes to mind but if you give me more information then I might be able to assist you more. Greetings,Martin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My mechanic as already replaced the crank shaft sensor, I put a new battery and checked the fuses for corrosion. I also checked the alternator and it was fine. What is really interesting is that when he but in the another starter the problem seem to get worse. The engine is running better overall, but it will not consistently start. Anymore ideas?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hi,When you say that after the mechanic has replace the starter then I would suspect there must be something wrong with either the main battery cables and or the starter motor. I think the fact that the crankshaft sensor is replaced made the engine run better. The crank shaft sensor can cause a lot of starting problems but it should be ruled out now. So I would tackle the starter first. There is a relay on the thirteen fold relay panel near the inside fuse box relay #4 is the starter relay the fault can also be that the relay contacts are worn and not always making contact. I am just saying this if you find that the starter is fine.I hope this information will assist you should you need more do not hesitate to ask.Greetings,Martin.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
I was just wondering have you had time to look at the problem?
Greetings,
Martin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, a mechanic looked at my car and I shared with him your suggestions.but he said he could not determine the problem until the car stopped running each time we tried to start the car it turned on perfectly it never stalled, very frustrating.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back to me.
If the wiring is good and there is no bad contacts then I think the problem could be the brushes inside the starter motor.
What happens at times is that the brushes does not make proper contact with the commutator and the result is that the solenoid cannot activate. I have seen this many times, with time this might rectify itself as the brushes will wear in and make solid contact with the commutator.
I hope this give you more insight to the problem.
Greetings,
Martin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for following up, I truly appreciate it :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes your comments gave a lot of insight
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I was just thinking about this and though I would like to know if you manage to repair the problem.
Greetings,
Martin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, not sure . my daughter started driving the car and she reported there was no problems. she drove it on basically flat land. I drove the car today and it started for me. but where I work I have to drive up a very steep hills I'm going to see if there will be a problem after that. Usually the car will get me up the hills but it will stall once I park it.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Good let me know what the results are and we can work on them.
Greetings,
Martin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I will, thank you.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
OK