gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

VW Passat: 2001 VW Passat V6 30 V number 4 misfire

Customer Question

2001 VW Passat V6 30 V number 4 misfire
Category: VW
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
I'm Brandon - VW TECH.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
http://imgur.com/XaKnKPx
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
It looks like the picture in the link.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
The cost is $250
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
Did you get a misfire code?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What info do you need
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
The P code?
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
If you have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok saw link 2 new coils already done
I,m getting fire but cylinder is flooding lots of exhaust u burned gas coming out I believe this is a harness problem injector staying open
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
can you hear if the injector is opening and closing.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
One quick way to find out is to put a long screw driver on top of the injector and one end in your ears.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
You could actually hear the injector opening and closing.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to opt out and let other technician help you out.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
Please do not rate me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there individual fuses for each injector I,m getting no change when I unplug injector
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok why though
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
OK- there are not individual fuses for each injector. They should be powered at all times, and grounded by the ECM. It's best to check the injectors by putting a "noid light" in the harness and seeing if you get a pulse when running, you can also in a pinch just put a small bulb in there.
Have you checked to see that you have spark from the coil on that wire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I did get spark I do have Noid set however I do think the point is being missed
Respectfully ***** ***** beginning of my request I checked power on injector harness and 5 of the injector harness plugs show identical power
9.5 on hot and 3.4 on the other wire however Cylinder 4 has 9.5 on hot and other wire shows only 0.2 so with that in mind why is this as I believe the injector is dumping constant fuel and flooding the cylinder confirmed by the heavy exhaust smell of raw gas
Is this in fact a bad ECM that's what I,m trying to confirm please respond as to what it might be
Thanks
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
I don't quite understand what you are reading on these wires (voltage? resistance?) but if you are having a difference on that circuit, I would first check the ECM to make sure there is not any issue with the pins at the connector, as they are in an area that under certain conditions could experience water. I would also ohm out the wires directly between the injector and the ECM to rule out any wiring harness damage that is shorting that wire to ground, as I said the ECM is what controls the ground switching to activate the injector- and if it is permanently grounded due to a worn wire then replacing the ECM won't change that.
Barring any other damage to the wiring, then an ECM would be my last resort- but it will need to be adapted to the immobilizer system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok the readings are done with a Powerprobe the 9.5 I assume are volts I am checking the 2 wire plug the other wire shows 3.4 Volts all except the misfire on 4 ok then hope fully clarified now then where is the ECM located and what do you need me to check with Powerprobe also as a side note there is a small black square what looks to be a Resistor of some sort connected to the Coilpack on one of the studs with an unrepairable single wire I don't know what it is,does it somehow tie in with this problem
If this gets solved I will give a nice bonus to you
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
The little square is a resistor to minimize radio disturbance from the ignition coil.
The ECM is inside the black box up by the firewall in front of the driver.
I would advise using a DVOM instead of the Powerprobe, you can't diagnose every circuit by looking for voltage there- as only one side of a circuit should have applied voltage, you shouldn't have any voltage at a ground circuit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What on ECM should I check which wires
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What on ECM should I check which wires
I am checking the plug with ohm meter and getting a reading of .5 ohms and with good injector no activity I have the ECM exposed and see no wetness or corrosion
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This seems to take forever this is why this site sucks can you help or no what is the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Guy just leaves me hanging guy before him opted out for no reason neither addressed problem as to where to look even with specific information
I don't get it don't know why so many problems with this site
People claim to be experts but don't know how to read
Sad indeed