vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

Volkswagen Passat 2.0T: I have a 2006 passat 2.0 turbo. When

I have a 2006 passat 2.0 turbo. When the engine starts it makes a rattling, pinging noise rough idle but the idle on the tach is fine. I replaced the PCV valve and the valve cover gasket was leaking so I replaced that to, but I still get that loud noise what could this be???

Welcome to Just Answer!!!

Does the noise come from the driver side of the engine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it's more central. sounds close to the rocker arm but I've checked that and nothing looks loose or broken

Does it sound like a diesel engine at times ??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes. after replacing the breather crankcase it was better for about an hour. then driving cause it to start periodically again. now it seems to be more when i'm driving and will try to smooth out when i'm stopped or parked

Ok Jennifer you have a issue with the cam chain tensioner making the noise located behind the cam chain cover on the drivers side of the engine very common issue it is recommended the chain and the tensioner is replaced. I hope this helps.

Jennifer please dont forget to provide positive feedback for the help provided thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no possibility its the oil pump for the turbo??

You would get a oil light if the oil pump is failing the issue i have listed is very common , the oil pump in this vehicle is not the typical one like other cars it uses gears, I hope this helps If you need more assistance i have offered a different option if you would like .

Jennifer positive feedback is greatly appreciated thank you