Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs

Volkswagen Jetta: my 1998 jetta tdi wont start. It is getting

my 1998 jetta tdi wont start. It is getting fuel as it creates a cloud of white smoke. it will missfire a lot and eventually it will start. It seems to me the pump is not advancing the timing of the injection. There are 3 wires to the start timing control on the fuel pump. How do I diagnose this?
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 months ago.

Eurocar Inc :

Hello there! I'm Eurocar ! I will try to assist you as much as I can.

Customer:

hello

Eurocar Inc :

hi

Eurocar Inc :

first I need to know is the intake clogged with carbon

Eurocar Inc :

you may have to remove the hose at the intake and look in there with a flashlight

Customer:

I have done that. there is a fair amount of gunk in there, but it certainly is not blocked. I stuck a screwdriver in there and scraped some of it out

Eurocar Inc :

yikes !!

Customer:

When the engine does finally catch and start it runs great like there is nothing wrong.

Eurocar Inc :

I hope that some of the carbon did not jamb the valve and then bend the valve

Customer:

what valve are you talking about

Eurocar Inc :

intake valves

Eurocar Inc :

how old is the timing belt

Customer:

timing belt is about 10K miles. I took cover off and verified the pump had not jumped timing. The timing pin fit perfectly and TDC on the crank

Eurocar Inc :

ok but after that did you check the start of injection with a scan tool?

Customer:

no. I don't have a scan tool

Eurocar Inc :

also did you use the cam lock and pop the cam gear loose when you did the timing belt?

Customer:

yes

Eurocar Inc :

I bet the start of injection is off

Eurocar Inc :

need vag com to see what is the certain values at operating temp to see if it is in range

Customer:

OK, where can I get a hold of one or is that a VW shop special tool

Eurocar Inc :

google ross tech

Customer:

If it says timing is wrong, what do I do?

Customer:

what should the correct values be?

Eurocar Inc :

first double check the crank at 0 and lock injector pump and cam to verify this

Eurocar Inc :

then start the car and let run to operating temp

Customer:

ok

Eurocar Inc :

then with vag com you need to go to 01 engine electronics , 04 basic settings and the 000

Eurocar Inc :

you will get 10 values readings

Customer:

OK

Eurocar Inc :

Full Size Image

Eurocar Inc :

or use the set timing feature button

Customer:

What are your thoughts as to start timing control?

Eurocar Inc :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Can I check voltages to the 3 wires to the pump

Eurocar Inc :

that green line is optimal timing and the gray area is within limits

Eurocar Inc :

do not tamper the 3 wires

Customer:

where is this fuel temp sensor

Eurocar Inc :

that will not help you at all scan tool is the only way to tune timing correctly after the lock down and verify static timing

Eurocar Inc :

in the injector pump

Eurocar Inc :

you get that value with the scan tool

Eurocar Inc :

2nd value is the advance value (vertical)and 9th value is the fuel temp (horizontal) the green line is the middle of the road

Eurocar Inc :

I wish it was easier but this is the only way !!!

Customer:

ok looks like I need a scan tool

Eurocar Inc :

yes correct

Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience: Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs