Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical
47606789

Volkswagen Polo: Have a Volkswagen Polo TDI 1.6 diesel, manual.

Have a Volkswagen Polo TDI 1.6 diesel, manual. It's only 12 mnths old. Since the first day there has been a shudder in the car when you get to a level speed (doesn't matter, 60/70/80/100). When I took it back for the 1000km check I was told I'm not driving the car hard enough. Now I am been told its a system upgrade to do with the ref counter. It's still shaking and I am fed up its a brand new car and not one of my other diesels did this
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am at your service to assist with your VW problems. Welcome to Just Answer.

As I am not physically able to inspect or drive the car myself I have a question. Does the tempo/intensity of the shudder change at all, although it is constantly there at any speed? This might have a bearing on the reason for the shudder, of which some possibilities might include:

1. It could be a faulty engine mounting.
2. Drive shaft/shafts.
3. Wheels.
4. Engine mechanics.

Trying to pinpoint the problem is going to be a matter of eliminating possibilities, so I would suggest, if you do not mind, starting with my first question and we can take it from there. Thank you for your patience and I will try my best to assist you.

Regards,
Martin.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes the intensity does change, when you have your foot on the petrol it's worse, when you just let the car flow with the foot of the petrol it's less
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes the intensity does change, when you have your foot on the petrol it's worse, when you just let the car flow with the foot of the petrol it's less, o and we had the wheels checked, re balanced etc.
Hello Liesl,

Thank you for your input. The fact that you say the intensity is related to the engine speed leads me to think it might be the engine. To start testing, drive the car on a quiet road with a relatively smooth surface, switch the engine off and let the car roll free in neutral. If the car runs smoothly, this test will eliminate the possibility of drive shafts and wheels. This will also be an indication of a fault with the engine or the gearbox.

In the event of a fault with the engine or gearbox, we will not be able to pinpoint the problem without physically dismantling them. I would then suggest that you return to the Dealers with this additional information which should convince them to rethink their strategy.

Because you make mention of a rev counter, I would just like to say that it is merely an instrument measuring engine speed and cannot be the cause of vibrations. The story of not driving the car hard enough also does not hold water as far as I am concerned. Cars are made to be driven by different people in different ways.

Please let me know what the outcome is and whether you require further assistance or information.

Regards,
Martin.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Martin, will be back at the dealer first think tomorrow morning.
Hello Liesl,

Thank you for the positive rating and I hope you do find somebody that will be able to repair the fault
Regards,
Martin.