vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

Volkswagen jetta: Good afternoon. Jetta 2002 1.8T starting

Good afternoon. Jetta 2002 1.8T starting issue. It started with misfiring during driving.
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

How many cylinders are misfiring ??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not sure how many cylinders are mifiring. I felt as i driving that it was cutting in and out similar to the problem these vw had earlier with their coil packs. I went home, i plugged the scan tool, but there are no codes in the computer.

I try to restarted, it seemed that the battery was weak. I boosted the battery with another one and the engine started but it died right away., i tried to do it again but this time tried to give some gas same result

ok more then likely you are loosing fuel pressure because of a weak fuel pump , and have a battery low.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am charging the battery as i am typing this message. do you think a weak fuel pump will cause a low battery situation ?

No a weak battery will not cause the fuel pump issue but if you charge the battery and you take it for a ride and the vehicle starts to run rough again and die out more then likely you have a failing fuel pump these are very common . I hope all this has helped.

Positive feedback is highly appreciated thank you
Elias does this help???
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I started the engine right after having the battery on charger for an hour. How do you explain that it was starting and dying right away. I am asking this question becasue a fuel pumpl cost around $220 while if i have a battery issue is more like $75

How is the car acting now when you try to start it ??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Now that the battery was a bit charged, it started right away.

The battery will not cause the misfiring issue this is why i stated to make sure the fuel pump is ok ,because a low battery will cause the no start but not the misfiring while driving . I hope this helps .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok if we go for the fuel pump how difficult is to change it ? i believe that i can reach it under the back seat passenger side. Can i use normal tools to do it or i need any weird german tool. Do i need any tools to disconnect the sending and return lines ? Thank you for help

Yes the fuel pump is located under the rear seat bottom on the passenger side , you will just need basic tools hammer, screwdrivers and the lines come off by pushing tabs inn on each head of the line . I hope all this has helped positive feedback is highly appreciated i will still help you after the feedback thank you