chris, Expert VW technician
Experience:  Almost 10 years experiance, top technician western region, Team leader

Volkswagen Jetta 2.5: I just insisted that my VW dealer drain,

I just insisted that my VW dealer drain, flush, and refill the fluid in the Tiptronic transmission on my 2008 VW Jetta 2.5. I also wanted them to clean out the pan and gunk in there if there was any. Car has 70000 miles. Not having issues. Just wanted routine maintenance to be performed. Told me it was a "sealed unit" and was not really needed, but they can do it if I wanted because they had everything they needed to do it. Also said they couldn't change the filter because it is deep inside the tranny. My questions are, "How can a transmission not ever require maintenance and what exactly did they do to my transmission?" It works fine, but did they clean it out, or did they just drain and refill the fluid?

chris : It is true that there is no interval for maintenance on the transmission. The fluid is specially formulated to last the life of the vehicle with that being said sounds like they just drained and filled it. The filter can be replaced but you have to remove the pan. Your invoice should have a list of parts that were used ther should be a pan gasket, drain plug washer, filter and around 5 liters of fluid. If they just charged you fluid then they just drained and filled it