VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with VW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

Volkswagen: 2000 passat 1.8T . I replace an oil pan with a

2000 passat 1.8T . I replace an oil pan with a crack in it. 80 miles later the car loses oil pressure(light comes on consistently. assuming I screwed somthing up I pulled pan off and pickup tube is clear. I pulled oil pump and spun shaft with pickup tube in bucket of oil and it pumps it right out. what else would cause pressure drop?

VWDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

VWDoc :

hiya Mark

VWDoc :

Did you do a physical pressure test with a gauge yet?

VWDoc :

ok, switching to email

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Jason, my text alert didnt work. I did no do a pressure test.It was leaking oil pretty bad. I was driving down highway and warnin light came on. I checked sensor connection since I was just working in that area. I took off again and 5 miles later it came on again. This time oil was leaking out somewhere. I assumed I did something wrong so pulled pan to check tube screen. Nothing so check pump. Seems to be working. Not sure where to go next. I guess I put new pump on and pan and check pressure.

Yeah, I'd have to recommend threading a gauge in there to make sure it's not just a sensor problem. Any idea if the car was driven for any distance dangerously low on oil before you got it? Not a bad idea to get a pump in there, as long as you have the pan down, but it's pretty rare that pumps fail on these. Where did you find the other leak?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Couldnt really see where its coming from. Not from filter or pressure switch. It had plenty of oil just a pressure warning and you could here the lifters clicking.

Turbo feed line?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

oil pressure is 100 lbs at 3000 rpm and 50 at idle