gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

vw beetle: My right side blinker on front and rear is blinking

My right side blinker on front and rear is blinking too fast. The left side is fine. I replaced the bulbs on the right side both front and back but the problem still exists.

John :

Hello. I think one of two things is happening. Either one of the bulbs you installed is wrong, defective or installed incorrectly. If that is not it, then compare the side you are having problems with to the other side and count the number of lights that blink with the turn signals. Often there is more than one on the front or rear. For example, if only one of 2 turn signal bulbs are out you will still see the working one flash but still have the fast blink happening.

John :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

yes. i will check it and get back to you.

On the New Beetle, this is a common issue with the front turn signal. The faster flashing is because of high resistance in the circuit, which is usually caused by the bulb holder itself. Take the bulb back out, disconnect the connector on the back of the bulb holder, and then with a tool lift up the metal contact in the center of the bulb holder, to increase tension on the backside of the bulb when it is installed.
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience: VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
Hello, just following up to see what you found the problem to be.

Glad to see your vehicle is fixed!