Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

Volkswagen NGS: I have a 2001 vw beetle that both cooling fans

I have a 2001 vw beetle that both cooling fans are not coming on at all. I have changed out the complete fan assy, the FCM, and the temp sensor on the upper hose by the engine...all to no avail. start the car and still no fans run. all fuses check good. I am really confused as to what else it could be.
Category: VW
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
hi,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

if you still need help, please let me know

''''''']

'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes...I still need help. The beetle is sitting up on blocks in my driveway so I can get underneath it to work on it. What other info do you need?

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

ok, first, look on the driver's door sill or door and you will see a manufacturer sticker. it will have the production date on it.

I need that as there is a change in wiring diagrams depending upon the production date
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the date stamped is 01.01

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

ok, have you checked fuse #3 and 8 at the fuse bracket by the battery? just want to make sure the correct fuses were checked

also, do you have a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes...all fuses and fuse links on top of the battery are good. One of the terminals on fuse #3 is discolored at the base, but there is continuity between the other side of the fuse and the wire coming out of the plug connector.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

ok, at the bottom left of the radiator is the fan control thermal switch

graphic

first, verify on the red wire to it that there is 12v with key on. if not repair red wire between fuse 8 and thermal switch

next, check for 12v on the red with white wire at the thermal switch and on the red with green wire at the thermal switch with engine on and up to operating temperature. if missing from either one, replace the thermal switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I must have a loose connection on the red wire. The 12 volts is there on the wire...but on all the stress I put on the wires getting the cable shield of to check the wires...all of a sudden the fans work! Would you recommend I change out the thermal switch just to be sure?

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

i would change it out just in case it is a loose pin in the switch or intermittent short in the switch. The switch is about $30 and to me, worth it to be better safe than sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will do!! Do you have any idea where I might be able to pick up this switch on a Sunday? I've discovered it is very hard to find parts for a VW at most auto parts stores. I'm pretty sure the VW dealership is not open on Sundays here in Dallas.

Thanks for your help! You are a lifesaver!!

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Your best bet will be either Carquest, Bumper2Bumper, or a Pep Boys

always glad to help out and have a great Sunday!

please remember to rate service. thanks!
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician