chris, Expert VW technician
Experience:  Almost 10 years experiance, top technician western region, Team leader

Volkswagen Passat 1.8t FWD: I have a 2001 VW passat with 1.8T.

I have a 2001 VW passat with 1.8T. The vehicle started to overheat about two weeks ago. Every now and then the vehicle would smoke somewhat white and sometimes blue smoke. Took into dealer to get it diagnosed and their results were blown head gasket. So I decided to replace it my self instead. Once the head was removed it was taken in for inspections. The guy I picked is a well known machinest with a high reputation. 10 thousands was removed from the head, cam caps were inspected and head was pressure tested. No problems other than a resurface. I cleaned block using scotch pads and die grinder. Used a metal headgasket with brand new head bolts. Also replaced water pump and thermostat. Vehicle is still smoking but it is not blue smoke. What are the chances of the turbo being the cause of this whole smoking problem????

chris : I would say you have a 99 percent chance that your turbO is blown. You will need to replace it to fix your smoking problem
Customer: Typically if a turbo is blown, shouldn't the smoke be blue?
chris : No it will be a cloud of white smoke I would also recommend replacing the oil feed line while you are at it. I have seen this more times than I can count.