eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase certified tech
6149662

Volkswagen Beetle: Hi there. I have a friend with a 2001 VW

Hi there. I have a friend with a 2001 VW Beetle, 2.0L turbo engine. She recently started hearing a knocking sound coming from the engine, and the CEL came on. After scanning it appears to be P0011. I listened to the knocking and it sounds like a "hard" knock, not a ping, and from inside the engine compartment it sounds like it's a physical knock coming from the engine. I touched the upper intake and I can feel the knock coming through from somewhere. She bought the car fairly recently, so we're not sure about the history (run out of oil at some point?). I was a mechanic for a long time, but don't have much experience with VWs. Any initial thoughts on what this could be? She also brought it to a shop who told her the air pump needed to be replaced, which she did, but it didn't help with the sound. Performance seems to be fine (no significant loss of power) and it idles fine and evenly.

Link to a video of the sound is at https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=381550485307482

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. link is no good

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, might not be able to access it on Facebook. I'll try to find a better link. Either way could I get your thoughts on what I described?

I would check the timing belt first...that code usually comes up when there is a timing issue,,,or you may have a serious lower end issue timing is advanced with oil pressure...if the motor has a oil pressure failure.... it will require a rebuild or replace of the motor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here is a link to a better video for it.

So your thoughts right now are timing issue - it would cause the code and the knocking sound (I'm assuming it's an interference engine)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d7WlMG9t_w

it needs a motor rebuild or replacement that noise is lower end likely rod or main bearings