gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified

Volkswagen Jetta: I have a Sprotwagon TDI 2009 with 130k miles

I have a Sprotwagon TDI 2009 with 130k miles and the check engine is on, glow plug flashing and particle filters on, OBD codes are P0101, P0102 and P2463. Just change the MAF and still same problem
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 10 months ago.

gomi_otaku :

The P2463 is the sign that your particulate filter is full and cannot be regenerated. There is an "emergency regeneration" that can be performed by the dealership, but techline has told us it *never* works. So, replacing the MAF may have solved the reason, but the filter still needs to be replaced.

Customer:

1-Where is the filter and approximatly how much will it cost?

Customer:

What about the P0101 and P0102 codes even after changing the MAF.

gomi_otaku :

The other faults are there because the system can't fully flow air- resulting in the "wrong" amount of air being detected by the MAF as "too low" of a volume.

gomi_otaku :

If you look downward from the top, the filter is on the passenger side rear of the engine, and is a metal "canister" about 9 inches by 12 inches, about 4-5 inches thick. It's pretty spendy, probably $800, and there is a good chance your EGR may be clogged with carbon, as well as the exhaust catalyst.

Customer:

In terms of sequence, the check engine and glow plug were the first alert. The particulale filter light came on later. Since I drive around 600 miles per week, I've tried not to use the 6th gear so the RPM is always between 2300 and 3000. yesterday, the particulate filter light came off for one ride. Is it normal that if I erase the OBD codes, they come back instantly eventhough I didn't start the engine. How can the computer know that the particulate filter is full without starting the engine? Also, the exhaust pipe is clean, no soot and the performance are there (acelaration and fuel economy)

gomi_otaku :

Try clearing the faults, then disconnect the battery and connect the battery cables together for about an hour. Then reconnect the battery, and see if the faults come back. It sounds like the faults are "burned" into the memory of the module and need to be discharged

Customer:

Should I expect other problems due to disconnecting the battery for a long period? Radio, anti-theft ,...?

gomi_otaku :

The radio will go on "SAFE", but you just have to start the car up and turn the radio on and it will recognize that it is in the same vehicle. The window pinch protection will need to be reset by running the windows all the way up to the top and holding the button.

Customer:

Before considering changing the particulate filter, I went to see a mechanic who told me that the first thing I should check is the fuses. The No1 fuse in the inside fuse panel was blown. In my owners manual it is listed as "instrument cluster illumination" fuse but it looks like the MAF is also on that fuse...the mechanics told me that there is a heating element in the oil vapor recuperation tube that may have cause the fuse to blow.

gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience: VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified