gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified

Volkswagen Jetta 2.5: Check engine light came on on the way

Check engine light came on on the way home on the freeway with my 2006 Jetta manual transmission. Felt like I was loosing a bit of power. Got off the highway and drove home on city roads in case lost full power. 93000 KMs. No other issues to day. Did an oil and filter change about a month ago (Midas with European car oil)

gomi_otaku :

Guessing is expensive! If you have a check engine light, then there will be faults stored. You can pay a dealer to scan it, or you can have it scanned for FREE at

gomi_otaku :

Autozone or other large chain parts stores.

Customer: I figured that out on my first google search. was hoping for some known issues with make and model?
gomi_otaku :

Throttle body has been an issue with acceleration or power transfer. Mass Air Flow has been a continuing issue for years.

Customer: would loss of power indicate these issues?
gomi_otaku :

The throttle body has typically been traced to wiring and a wiring repin at the connector. Only way to know is to check faults. If you say that you have done "nothing yet" then that is where you need to start, like I said guessing and throwing parts at it is not cheap, a throttle body can be $800 or more, MAF is going to be a few hundred at least.

gomi_otaku :

There are any number of issues that could result in a loss of power- or sometimes even a transmission issue can feel like a power transfer issue.

gomi_otaku :

But these two are the first that come to mind for this engine