VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with VW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

Volkswagen Passat 2.0T: 2006 VW Passat getting a squeak with

2006 VW Passat getting a squeak with a clunk in right front coming in or out of driveways with inclines or pulling out sharply to the right. Steering straight as an arrow cruising but hard pull right under acceleration. Any ideas what to check?

VWDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

VWDoc :

So I have a few thoughts, but want to know first if you've had the car up in the air to inspect any of the steering/suspension parts yet

Customer:

No, will need to take it to a shop but hoped to have some feel for what might be needed. Car has 112K miles on it. I just bought it two weeks ago.

VWDoc :

ok, got it, thanks

VWDoc :

So, the obvious possibilities are the ball joints on the end of the control arms

VWDoc :

there was also a service campaign related to the subframe moving laterally in relation to the car's unibody

VWDoc :

but these issues should have been dealt with long ago

VWDoc :

at least the subframe plates

VWDoc :

With the hard right pull, I would also consider a sway bar end link, or even a tie rod end

Customer:

What should that cost to repair and will it cause further damage or safety issue if not fixed?

VWDoc :

Well, if a ball joint or tie rod end is loose, it can definitely be a safety issue if left alone

VWDoc :

Cost to repair is difficult for me to say without knowing the failure. Figure tie rod end + alignment will cost about $350

VWDoc :

sway bar link, about $120 per side, with labor

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX did timing belt water pump and thermostat as preventative based on mileage after getting a check engine related to thermostat. Also had two open recalls done at dealer anything else I should have checked based on mileage?

VWDoc :

112k, I'd be concerned about high pressure fuel pump cam/follower wear

VWDoc :

I'd want to make sure the PCV system is in good working order

VWDoc :

other than that, the cars are pretty solid

Customer:

What should it cost to check the cam follower? I think PCV was one of the recalls they did on it last week.

VWDoc :

most good independent VW shops will charge about an hour of labor. Dealers will charge more

Customer:

Thanks

VWDoc :

glad to help