VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with VW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

Volkswagen jetta: 2003 JETTA 2.0 GAS. car starts but when gas

2003 JETTA 2.0 GAS. car starts but when gas pedal is stepped on it doesnt go above 5 miles per hour. It feels like no pressure when stepping on pedal. Trying to get some idea of what could cause this, before going to mechanic
Category: VW
Expert:  VWDoc replied 1 year ago.

VWDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

VWDoc :

Now are you saying that the throttle pedal feels significantly different than it usually does?

Customer:

yes

VWDoc :

Ok, not a very common failure, but it sounds like the throttle pedal assembly has failed. Essentially, your throttle pedal acts as a sort of light dimmer switch in your house....

VWDoc :

and it has an internal spring to keep it taut

VWDoc :

So the throttle pedal sends a signal to the engine computer, which then tells the throttle plate in your engine to open accordingly

Customer:

where is it located

VWDoc :

the pedal? it's the part your stepping on

VWDoc :

is the car an automatic or manual transmission?

Customer:

no the assembly spring, does it just sit below the pedal. Also, would this cause the epc light to come on?

VWDoc :

The spring is part of the pedal assembly. Not available separately.

VWDoc :

Now EPC stands for Electronic Power Control

VWDoc :

another word for the whole pedal/throttle body accelerator system in VW/Audi cars

VWDoc :

so if there is a fault with any of the components in the pedal/throttle body, the EPC light will come on, and the car will go into what is called "limp home" mode

VWDoc :

which is exactly what you're experiencing right now

VWDoc :

if you can tell me if your car is an automatic or manual, I can give you an idea of replacement cost

Customer:

automatic

VWDoc :

Pedal assembly part number is XXXXX 723 503P, costs $177, and takes about an hour for a mechanic to replace. Also the mechanic will have to program the pedal to the car

Customer:

autozone check engine light reading gave several codes, one was

Customer:

P065- ecm relay control circuit open. Is this all related to the same issue

VWDoc :

P065 is not a valid fault code. They read like Pxxxx - 4 digits

Customer:

p0685

VWDoc :

completely separate system. That's related to the main relay for the engine control module

VWDoc :

and one that would take some hands on work to diagnose

VWDoc :

I would start with the pedal replacement first, clear faults, see if it comes back

Customer:

i had the spark plugs changed right before the pedal failed could this be related to pedal or ecu problem

VWDoc :

not very likely, no

Customer:

thanks

VWDoc :

glad to help

VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner
Experience: 20 years of experience working with VW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.
Expert:  VWDoc replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.