VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with VW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

Volkswagen jetta: 2003 JETTA 2.0 GAS. car starts but when gas

2003 JETTA 2.0 GAS. car starts but when gas pedal is stepped on it doesnt go above 5 miles per hour. It feels like no pressure when stepping on pedal. Trying to get some idea of what could cause this, before going to mechanic

VWDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

VWDoc :

Now are you saying that the throttle pedal feels significantly different than it usually does?

Customer:

yes

VWDoc :

Ok, not a very common failure, but it sounds like the throttle pedal assembly has failed. Essentially, your throttle pedal acts as a sort of light dimmer switch in your house....

VWDoc :

and it has an internal spring to keep it taut

VWDoc :

So the throttle pedal sends a signal to the engine computer, which then tells the throttle plate in your engine to open accordingly

Customer:

where is it located

VWDoc :

the pedal? it's the part your stepping on

VWDoc :

is the car an automatic or manual transmission?

Customer:

no the assembly spring, does it just sit below the pedal. Also, would this cause the epc light to come on?

VWDoc :

The spring is part of the pedal assembly. Not available separately.

VWDoc :

Now EPC stands for Electronic Power Control

VWDoc :

another word for the whole pedal/throttle body accelerator system in VW/Audi cars

VWDoc :

so if there is a fault with any of the components in the pedal/throttle body, the EPC light will come on, and the car will go into what is called "limp home" mode

VWDoc :

which is exactly what you're experiencing right now

VWDoc :

if you can tell me if your car is an automatic or manual, I can give you an idea of replacement cost

Customer:

automatic

VWDoc :

Pedal assembly part number is XXXXX 723 503P, costs $177, and takes about an hour for a mechanic to replace. Also the mechanic will have to program the pedal to the car

Customer:

autozone check engine light reading gave several codes, one was

Customer:

P065- ecm relay control circuit open. Is this all related to the same issue

VWDoc :

P065 is not a valid fault code. They read like Pxxxx - 4 digits

Customer:

p0685

VWDoc :

completely separate system. That's related to the main relay for the engine control module

VWDoc :

and one that would take some hands on work to diagnose

VWDoc :

I would start with the pedal replacement first, clear faults, see if it comes back

Customer:

i had the spark plugs changed right before the pedal failed could this be related to pedal or ecu problem

VWDoc :

not very likely, no

Customer:

thanks

VWDoc :

glad to help