vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

I have a 2002 VW Golf, 2 door 4 cyl engine, manual 5 speed transmission, 173K miles. In h

I have a 2002 VW Golf, 2 door 4 cyl engine, manual 5 speed transmission, 173K miles. In heavy rain, the battery gets drained with the car parked and off. I've bought a brand new battery and had to charge it 3 times because of this. Whatever it is, it also took out the alternator which was also replaced. When the battery is replaced, the alternator puts out 13 to 13.5 Volts across the battery terminals. Dry weather performance is OK.

Any ideas on where the water is getting in and draining the current? It likely takes a day or so before it reaches the point where you can't start the car.

Yorktown Heights, NY
Welcome to Just Answer!!!

Have you had a parasitic draw test yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. I'm assuming that means measuring the current draw from the battery under various conditions. I was thinking of putting an ammeter around the battery lead (have a clamp on one for DC) after hosing down the car but haven't gotten to it yet. I figured that maybe you could give me a quick answer !

Honestly there's no quick solution with a draw you need to do a draw test and if you have a draw when the car has shut down with the doors locked and alarm armed you will need to pull each fuse one by one and see which one takes away the draw and this way you will know which system is causing the draw by which fuse brings the draw down . I hope this helps positive feedback is Highly appreciated thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, it looks like I have a choice:

- Soak the car, use the ammeter and then remove each fuse until

the standby amps are acceptable

- Selectively pull each fuse before it rains and see if it makes any

I vote for the door and alarm myself but we'll see.

Thanks for the comment. At least it confirmed what I suspected.

Send me a reply so I can do the rating !

I recommend the first option you listed its the correct and best way to find your issue I hope this helps positive feedback is appreciated thank you