VW Tech 1
VW Tech 1, VW Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, Master VW Factory Tech
25695808

Volkswagen Passat 4 Motion: Hi, 2000 Passat 2.8L, 4-motion.

Hi, 2000 Passat 2.8L, 4-motion. Noise coming from bell housing/flywheel area. Like something is rubbing, hard to describe. A burn "smell" also. (almost like burning rubber). Can you advise? thx
Category: VW
Expert:  VW Tech 1 replied 1 year ago.

VW Tech 1 :

Are you there tonight?

VW Tech 1 :

Has the transmission or engine been out of the car recently?

VW Tech 1 :

Has the starter been out of the car or replaced recently?

VW Tech 1 :

It is not common for these cars to make noise there - i have seen it but it is very rare unless someone has been working on the car.

VW Tech 1 :

The other cars I have seen were both broken drive plates/flexplates. flexing and making a squeaky noise where the crack was rubbing or flexing back and forth.

Expert:  VW Tech 1 replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi..crank sensor just replaced..engine and tranny have not been moved or replaced..valve cover gaskets just done also. starter has not been disturbed.

Also..this is an automatic trans.

Expert:  VW Tech 1 replied 1 year ago.
The first thing would be to pull the crank sensor and reinspect it. The burning odor - if you just did the valve cover gaskets that could be residual oil burning off - look at the sensor and see if it is rubbing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX check that out...and keep my fingers crossed. I may get back to you on this. I will end this session and rate the answer if I find a solution.

Expert:  VW Tech 1 replied 1 year ago.
OK - THANKS
VW Tech 1, VW Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech, Master VW Factory Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey, here's one for you...I lost an allen wrench some time ago working on the combi valves. Found it today in the bell housing area. That's what the rattle was.....

Expert:  VW Tech 1 replied 1 year ago.

You got lucky it didn't tear anything up. Happy Trails

VW Tech 1, VW Technician