Mike, VW Mechanic
Experience:  34 Years of working on vehicle repair & Diagnostics ! ;)
9261905

Volkswagen Golf Wolfsburg Ed.: i have a 99 vw golf wolfsburg

i have a 99 vw golf wolfsburg edition and my drivers side power window isn't working all other windows work but the front passenger window will only go down with the drivers side switch not up, any ideas?
Category: VW
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Mike :

My name isXXXXX happy to help you with this issue -

Mike :

When you say under the already tried section - "switch and fuses"... what exactly have you tried / done?

Mike :

The system says you are typing so I await your reply --

Customer:

hey there i replaced the drivers side window switch and no fix, and i dont think it is a fuse cause all my other windows work also if i use the key to open the windows all windows work but the drivers side

Mike :

Hi..

Mike :

Ok - was the switch you replaced new or 2n hand?

Mike :

2nd hand?

Customer:

new

Mike :

Ok - was it just the one switch - or the whole unit?

Customer:

the whole unit it is a combo switch so you can control drivers and passanger front window

Customer:

the rear windows is controlled by switches under the stereo

Mike :

thats right - I asked because some people strip them and just replace the one switch - you have done right in replacing it as a whole - it rules it out as the issue - ....

Mike :

Have you done anything with checking the pass switch -? one can affect the other as obviously they are connected..

Customer:

the passenger door switch works up and down but from the drivers door the passenger window will only go down not up

Mike :

Yes - if you disconnet the wiring to the pass switch - does that have any effect on the drivers side?

Customer:

do you mean on the passanger door or drivers door because if you mean the drivers door you cant disconnect sepratly it is on unit wiring harness

Customer:

one

Mike :

no - the pass door... if you disc the switching on the pass side - does it then allow your "dead" window on the drivers side to work?

Customer:

ohhh i see not sure i will try and get back to you i have no signal in my garage will you be on for a while?

Mike :

no problem - As it happens , I will be on for about the next 40 mins ( I am going to my daughters for a house warming party tonight!... )... I will check back later though after that - you can leave a reply here - I will always get back to you asap after you reply. Also - to save you time.. If that does allow it to work - it is poss a faulty switch on the pass side... or wiring issue through the door. If it makes no difference - you need to check the wiring on the drivers side - through the tube where it comes from the car body to the door - and then inside the door... also, if thats ok, then you need to check the motor itself ...

Mike :

( I mention all the above to save you time... that you can work through before you get back to me.

Customer: Thanks sooo much buddy I will get back to you
Mike :

No problem at all - Im glad to have helped.. I have opened the rating system for you - If you would like to click on that before you go ( Ok ratings > ) I would very much appreciate that .. and again - you can get back to me if you need at any time -and I will always get back to you as / if needed... ;)

Mike, VW Mechanic
Experience: 34 Years of working on vehicle repair & Diagnostics ! ;)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey just want to thank you it was the wiring in the boot between the door and car wires were snapped always good to bounce ideas off someone else be in touch again thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,....

Thank you for your reply - message.. Thats excellent ! Im very glad you found it.. very well done!

If there is ever anything else, you are Welcome back anytime..

All the best -- Rgds, MIKE.