Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Volkswagen Cabriolet: I need to decide what to do with my car

I need to decide what to do with my car ASAP!

I have an 87 cab (manual trans, base model) that is near and dear to me, but was recently in an accident. The bumper was pushed into the grill and there was some frame damage on the front driver side between the grill and wheel well but no mechanical damage except maybe tire alignment or something. I don't know what they're called, but the pieces with the crumple zones that hold the bumper and go back under the car (I think until the front of the cab) need to be replaced. Before the accident, the car was in great shape (well kept up and only 84,000 miles). I love this car and am willing to pay to fix it, but...

What I need to know, is after repairs, will the car be appreciably less safe than it was before? Say if I was in another front end accident?
hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX there is frame damage, it is weakened, and you dont always know to what extent, and thius will depreciate the vehicle sugnificantly, most all acciden that cause frame damage will be reported , and this would come up on a carfax or other reports, which will diminish the value alot, are you paying this yourself or through insurance?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not concerned about the money, only with the safety of the vehicle. Because the value of the car is less than the cost of the repairs, the insurance company is declaring it a total loss. If I keep the car, I don't plan on ever selling it so I'm not concerned with the carfax either.

The grill is pushed in a little but the sides of the car are not "crumpled". I'm not sure the right term, but the exterior plate on the front drivers side of the car was pushed back so it was flush with the driver door and the wheel well was against the tire.

I understand the safety of the vehicle will not be 100% of what it was before the accident. I want to know if it will be significantly less safe and in what way.

If it damaged the plate back by the drivers door, then the whole frame from the front to the cab will need to be replaced, if it is replaced and not just repaired, it should be safe as original, but if repaired, i would not rely on it for safety, have you had it checked out at a body and frame shop?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is currently at a body shop. I was quoted $7000-$8000 for repairs which I am willing to pay because the car has a lot of sentimental value to me (even though it's twice the value of the car). It sounds like replacing the frame would be very expensive and I'm guessing the repair estimate was for repairing the frame not replacing it. If it would boost the repair cost much higher, I'm not sure I can do that. Can you give me an idea of what that might cost? Also, I might be able to get another 87 Cabriolet that can be used for body parts (the frame, the parts that hold the bumper with crumple zones I mentioned earlier). How much could that help to keep down cost, if at all?

YES, FINDING A USED ONE WILL BRING THE PRICE DOWN SUGNIFICANTLY, I WOULD EXPECT THE REPLACEMENT OF THE FRAME PARTS TO BE ANOTHER 3K OR SO, BUT IF YOU FIND A USED ONE YOU COULD SAVE THOUSANDS, BUT THESE ARE GETTING HARDER TO FIND,tIM
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help. I may have follow up questions for you after taking another look at my car.

NO PROBLEM JUST REPLY BACK TO THIS QUESTION,tIM