gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified

Volkswagen Passat GLX: 2000 passat wagon manual trans. Car

2000 passat wagon manual trans. Car acts as though clutch petal is fully depressed all of the time. Shifter and pedal feel normal, engine revs, but no go. BTW All was OK then NG after stopping. ???
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

gomi_otaku :

Check to see if you can shift into gear with the engine off- and then try it with the engine running- if you can shift in with the engine off, but not with the engine running, then it's likely that you have a problem with your clutch. If you can't even feel back pressure when depressing the clutch, then you may have a problem with either low brake fluid (though you should get a warning for this) or your clutch slave master or slave may have failed (seal failure) You can clamp off the line between the master and the slave, and if you then hold pressure it is likely the slave- if it still drops to the floor then it is the master cylinder.

Customer:

Please re-read the question. I can shift into all gears running or not. Brake fluid is normal. Petal does not drop to floor. Car acts as though clutch is fully depressed all of the time. Sifter and clutch feel normal. I.E. The same as they did prior to failure. The only difference is when you release the clutch the car does not move and there is no load on engine. It is though the car is in neutral or the clutch is still depressed even though it is at the same position as the brake.

Customer:

I can shift into all gears running or not and with the clutch in or out. It is as though the clutch is depressed all the time regardless of the pedal position though it moves up and down normally and feels no different than before failure.

Customer:

Another note...as I shift gears with engine running (with or without clutch depressed) the speedometer reads 10 mph 1st. 15 2nd, 20 3rd and so on.

gomi_otaku :

Sounds like your clutch is just fine, have you had any work done recently? Because this sounds like one of your axles has come disconnected from the transmission- without resistance on both sides, the differential will just spin (showing a vehicle speed on the speedo as it spins up) and the axle that is still connected will not rotate. Maybe you had suspension work, or a CV boot or joint replaced?

Customer:

both axles were replaced about a year ago but does this explain ability to shift with or without clutch?

Customer:

I will also point out there are no unusual noises (thumping grinding etc...) If I press in the clutch spedo goes to zero...release it goes 10 mph at idle in 1st. Also there was nothing unusual prior to failure. No slipping, noise etc. I was stopped in neutral, depressed clutch, put in 1st, let out the clutch pedal, and the engine just reves.

Customer:

Can a master or slave clutch cylinder stick as to keep clutch engaged? Would pressure plate force back? Throw out bearing stick?

gomi_otaku :

Did you look under the car to see if the axle is disconnected? If the clutch was depressed, you wouldn't be spinning the differential- and wouldn't get a speed reading

gomi_otaku :

Happened to my father-in-law while driving- going down the street, shifted, and the last axle bolt fell out or sheared off and the vehicle would not move at all. The engine had just been replaced (NOT AT MY DEALERSHIP!) I always wondered why he owned a VW and never took it to me...

gomi_otaku :

But it could be that when you stopped, the only thing holding the last bolts was the tension of rotation- and when you stopped the bolt fell out.

Customer:

broken axle

gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience: VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified