gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Volkswagen jetta: i just put a used tranny in 2000 jetta 2.8

i just put a used tranny in 2000 jetta 2.8 with ECM tranny and i have some codes that popped up
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

gomi_otaku :

P1198 is the O2 sensor rear heater circuit- P1128 is long term fuel trim (likely a Mass Air Flow sensor)

Customer:

HELLO

gomi_otaku :

If the connectors were different on the sensors, did you put the right sensors in the right positions? was it a different tranny code?

Customer:

p0740 and p0722

Customer:

yes sensors are in right spot. the pigtails were diferent shape but same wire config

gomi_otaku :

No, I mean the transmission build code- was it different?

Customer:

no its the same.

Customer:

you mean the ECM

gomi_otaku :

One is the speed sensor- and the other is for your torque converter clutch

Customer:

?

gomi_otaku :

It could be that you have wiring problems inside the "new" tranny. And there are usually two speed sensors near each other, are you sure you got them both into the right holes? They look similar

Customer:

oh yeah im positive. I had trannys side by side when swaping and one sensor was to theleft up front and the other was to right towards the back

Customer:

they were the only 2 sensors I changed

Customer:

what kind of problems will this cause if I drive it till I can get new sensors

gomi_otaku :

Well, with the torque converter clutch it shouldn't be a problem unless you are doing long highway drives- it will heat up. The speed sensor could cause shifting issues, as if it doesn't know the RPMs inside the trans it won't know when to shift up or down. If you don't notice shifting issues then I would jsut drive it carefully and not too much.

Customer:

ok. I appreciate the help. i'll get new sensors asap and see what happens

Customer:

thanks

gomi_otaku :

OK- check back if you can't get it to go away. It could be something as simple as the wiring being swapped in the connector (polarities reversed) since they connect differently.

Customer:

i will .i should have new sensors by tomorrow. i'll let ya know then. i'll leave feedback now tho so you get your credit.

Customer:

cheers

gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience: VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified