gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified

Volkswagen Touareg: My 2004 Touareg 6Cyl as 135K on it. Today

My 2004 Touareg 6Cyl as 135K on it. Today while driving home, the transmission seemed to "slip" - i.e. I gave it gas, but nothing would happen (it would seem that the transmission was not in gear, but not in neutral either), then it would engage and lurch forward. This seems very dangerous to me as the car is hard to drive and control. It would seem to go away, then re-appear. When I got to my driveway, I could barely make it up the slight incline, and the car cut off. I was able to start it and "lurch" it until I got in parked. Any ideas what might be causing this?

gomi_otaku : Is the cluster showing the selected gears correctly? What you have described seems to indicate that it may need a valve body, but I want to rule out any other causes. Have you ever had the fluid services? And to your knowledge, the vehicle hasn't been bottomed out or received a hit to the tranny area?

The vehicle has been serviced on the recommended schedule as I had an extended service plan, although I cannot recall specifically whether the dealership serviced the tranny fluids. I have not had "trauma" incident to the tranny that I know of. I slipped it into tiptronic mode to see what was going on - the gear dropped all the way to second before re-engaging.

If it is a value body - what am I looking at? ($$$)

gomi_otaku :

I think the last one I looked at was around $1300 and a couple hours labor (or 3) at whatever your local shop rate is

Anything else I should try or do before letting the shop look at it?