Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Volkswagen Cabrio: VW cabrio wont go over 2000 rpms. This

VW cabrio won't go over 2000 rpms. This is in gear also out of gear. It's an automatic. Swapped out the fuel filter just to start somewhere and see if that helped any which it didn't. Any suggestions on where to go to next?
My thanks
Category: VW
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello

are there any check engine lights or other fault lights on the dash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes has the check engine light on and I took that to autozone and they stated that the codes were saying to cylinders weren't firing. I find this hard to believe as the car isn't running rough like I would have expected. I'm a jack of many trades but wife wanted this car and it's a little beyond what I'm used to dealing with.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dale

what engine size and fuel type is this please? the 1.6 petrol? also how many miles are on the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

125K miles, 1.8L engine, and gas of course though I do wish Hydrogen fiel cells were available

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dale

OK these engines are prone to ignition coil failures as I've known them to break down in such a way where they won't run fast / over a certain engine speed

so I'd suggest replacing the coils that are on the misfiring cylinders as a 1st step and also consider replacing the spark plugs as well

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Matt, Engineer
Experience: Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing