GazzaR1964, VW Mechanic
Experience:  I have been in the motor trade for almost 30 years, working on all Volkswagen models

VW POLO SEDAN: vw polo 2007 sedan wont start the alternator

vw polo 2007 sedan won't start the alternator just makes a clicking sound.
i changed the bougi cords but still the same sound.
Good afternoon and thank you very much for your question.

From your description it sounds very much like you simply have a flat battery. The clicking sound that you can hear is the starter motor solenoid trying to engage the starter, but because there is so little power in the battery, it is unable to work.

As the battery on your car is probably the original, and is about 6 years old, I would suggest that you have a new battery fitted.

I hope this answers your question, but if you need any further help please feel free to reply to me.

Regards, Gary.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i did try and jumpstart it but wouldn't start

Hi Anthony.

Thank you for your reply.

Please can you tell me if your Polo has manual or automatic transmission, and also, if you try to start the car with the headlights switched on, do they dim whilst the key is in the start position?

Regards, Gary.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Gary

I swapped batteries and still no luck just the clicking sound.

all the lights come on. on the dashboard.

Thank you for your reply.

In that case you may have a problem with your starter motor, or a loose electrical connection.
If you are able to follow the positive cable down from the battery to the starter motor you will see the starter solenoid which is located on top of the starter motor. Check that the wires are securely connected to the solenoid. If they are, try giving the solenoid a gentle hit with the handle of a hammer while someone else tries to start the car.
Do the lights on the dashboard dim when the key is turned to the start position?
Regards, Gary.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Gary i will try that in the morning and let you know

Ok Anthony.
I'll be on line at some point tomorrow so I'll check back then . Have a good evening.
Regards, Gary.
Hi Anthony.
Once again, thank you very much for your question. I hope that you were happy with my answer and that your Volkswagen is now running well. If you have more questions, you can ask me directly — that's what I'm here for!
Best regards, Gary.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i had to tow the vehicle to the workshop as the starter motor was shot