GazzaR1964
GazzaR1964, VW Mechanic
Experience:  I have been in the motor trade for almost 30 years, working on all Volkswagen models
11179493

A steady "check engine" light came on in my 05 Beetle Turbo

A steady "check engine" light came on in my '05 Beetle Turbo convertible today. How concerned should I be?
Good evening and thank you very much for your question.

The engine management unit (ECU) has detected a fault and this is why the engine management warning light has activated.

A fault code (or codes) will be stored in the ecu's memory which will point your garage in the direction of the fault. The only way to find out what has caused the problem is to take your car to a garage that has the correct diagnostic equipment, and have a diagnostic check carried out, which will reveal what the fault code is.

Most garages have this equipment nowadays, so I would suggest phoning round for a quote unless you have a garage that you use regularly. You do not have to go to a main dealer for this test.

There are many reasons why the light could come on, so guessing would not be wise and will almost certainly end up costing you money.

As long as your Beetle is running normally, and not misfiring, then you will be ok to continue to drive it, but I would recommend that you have the diagnostic check carried out as soon as possible.

I hope this answers your question, but if you need any further help, please feel free to reply to me.
Regards, Gary.
Hi.
Once again, thank you very much for your question. I hope that you were happy with my answer and that your car is now running well. If you have more questions, you can ask me directly — that's what I'm here for!
Best regards, Gary.