Mike, VW Mechanic
Experience:  34 Years of working on vehicle repair & Diagnostics ! ;)
9261905

Volkswagen Passat: fuse box diagram for a 2012 passat

fuse box diagram for a 2012 passat
Category: VW
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Mike :

My name isXXXXX happy to help you with this...

Mike :

Is it a particular fuse you are trying to locate?

Customer:

The left low beam headlight. But I'd really like a list of all the fuse locations just in case something blows while I'm on a trip.

Mike :

I understand - let me see what I can do for you - but meantime, this should be in the Owners Manual that comes with the car -do you not have that?

Customer:

I have the owners manual but VW has never published the fuse box diagram. Their offical response is you need to take the car to VW so they can look the car up by the VIN number. Which is just B.S. LOL

Mike :

right yes- Im with you.. Im just trying to locate that info for you ---

Mike :

which engine does your Vw have - size?

Mike :

is it the 2.0 ?

Customer:

I have the 2.0 TDI engine. It's a Passat SEL.

Mike :

I have it yes thank you - there are masses of fuses on these Im afraid..

Customer:

Yea, one fuse panel inside the car and another under the hood.

Mike :

There is actually 3 eng bay fuse boxes - 4 fascia - and one in the load area.

Customer:

Wow, well I guess it all the modern electronic today's cars have.

Mike :

Indeed it is yes.. Well, the bad news is, I have looked through them all and a fuse isnt listed for that one headlamp lowbeam... Actually I would suspect this to be a faulty connection / bulb or control unit or that headlamp - have those things been checked at all ?

Customer:

No, I checked and there wasn't power going to the bulb so I thought I'd check the fuse next.

Mike :

Right - usually its the power module for the headlamp on these thats at fault when you get this issue - I dont beieve there is one given fuse for the one low beam - and I certainly cant find one listed. Believe it or not, you are liklely going to need garage help with this as its plug in equipment is needed to diagnose these lamp unit faults..

Customer:

OK, thanks. I'll take it to the shop.

Mike :

I am really very sorry to be the bearer of bad news there... I cant honestly give you any more help than that Im afraid... It is as you said, the way they are all going - to make you go there !

Mike :

But there is definitly no one fuse listed for that .

Customer:

Yea, I was really shocked to find out VW doesn't let you know what fuse goes to what. It's the first car I've ever owned that it wasn't listed in the owner's manual.

Mike :

Indeed yes - We have all the info that the manufactuers have - so we have the same problems sometimes. The Up side is - there is on these modern vehicles -such Hi voltage going through them - the lighting system has these Hio discharge capaictor types - that if you should touch the wrong thing - or "probe" it with incorrect equipment - it can cause literally $$$$$$ worth of damage - and sometimes too can be harmful to ones self ! - so , its best without the equipment, not to even start on them...

Mike :

I have known of poeple do these these things and receive some very nasty burns !...

Mike :

The last one Im thinking about now- he burned the whole wiring system out on the car - it "Burned" in less than 10 secs... the car was finished!

Mike :

Im not trying to scare you by the way !! just saying how it is these days.... its not easy at all.

Customer:

I agree, but I hate to be stranded out in the middle of no-where just because of a blown fuse that I could have changed myself if I knew where it was. But thanks for your help.

Mike :

Oh I understand completely where you are coming from yes. The good news is though - on the likes of your car that you have - thats very unlikely to happen ;) I know you have this issue now - but as I say, its not going to be a fuse - and too.. a fuse only blows because of a problem elsewhere.. .. Anyway - its been goodo to talk with you - and I hope I have managed to help / re assure you at least... Can I ask / get an Ok from you for my time with you -? and you are Welcome back anytime at all -

Customer:

Oh sure thing.

Mike :

Thats great - Thank you... I have just opened that up for you now - so Thank You for doing that for me - you will see the thing to click now... and I wish you all the very best !

Customer:

Have a good evening.

Mike, VW Mechanic
Experience: 34 Years of working on vehicle repair & Diagnostics ! ;)