Cardoctor74
Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Certified to fix all makes and models
3827149

Volkswagen Rialta , Eurovan: My 95, VW RIALTA WINNEBAGO conversion

Customer Question

My 95, VW RIALTA WINNEBAGO conversion Motorhome has computer problem. ( original is from 94, Eurovan remodel to RV )
CPU : is made by SIEMENS from Germany, 5WP4 126,
Parts code is : 023 906 024 A

I had consult 2 local Mechanics already, 100% is my CPU is dead. I also send it out to FLorida once, A company is to special repair or refurbish auto CPU, after waited for 2 weeks, they just sent it back with refund to me. They said my CPU can't fix.( But I lost more than $120 for mail cost ) and they don't have program to rest.

Now, I'm open for VW Genius, according my CPU problem, what can I do ? How can make my RV drive able ?
Category: VW
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is Pete and I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would ask to see if you still need help with this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,,I'm still waiting for help ,,what is your question / idea?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked to see if you can find this computer for sale to replace it since it cannot be repaired?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
No points
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

The main issue I have seen with this ECM, is that the circuit that grounds the fuel pump relay goes bad. And I know we have sent at least one ECM off to be "repaired" and it lasted a couple hundred miles. There is a list of people miles long on the internet searching for replacement ECMs for this vehicle.

So- this is the solution I came up with when my 93 failed in this way, and I have done it on at least one Rialta.

Take the fuel pump relay. There is a small terminal off to the side, that is the ground circuit for the relay. I have taken one of those relays, bent that tab off to the side so that it sticks out when the relay is installed- and run a short jumper wire from that tab to the ground point near the steering column. This will mean that the relay is active (and the fuel pump is operating) anytime the key is on (engine running or not) So if you are starting up the vehicle, and not sitting listening to the radio with the engine off, you are OK. And if you have a large gauge of wire that is not going to heat up (it is just a signal circuit, not load carrying) then you are OK and not about to burn down the van. But if you leave the key on, engine not running, I'm assuming the back pressures will kill the pump

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know you just make the connection by pass, but it doesn't help for anything. Do you know any replacement possibly ? If worst come worst, is it need to change with engine? Also 96 or later V6 can replace in or not?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

The later vehicles had a slightly larger engine bay to account for the size of the VR6 engine- you will notice this if you get into one, the footwell area is more crowded, less leg length.

The main issue I can think of between the 93 and the 95 is that the 93 has an ambient pressure sensor built into the ECM itself. I don't know of anyone who has tried swapping the 93 in to see if it can be reverse engineered to make it work, but with the demand for 95 Winnie ECMs I can see it would be worthwhile to try. I was able to find an ECM for mine on Ebay when I needed one for less than $60, which isn't too expensive for a test considering there is no other option.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know you did try to give me answer, but your answer still doesn't help for anything. As I put my question up was write down I consulted 2 local mechanic already.. And I also point to looking for VW Genius, but you are not the one
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

So what circuit has failed on your original ECM? Does it not start or run at all? Does it crank but not start?

Like I said, you are in territory that I don't know if anyone has the answer- If you frequent any of the Eurovan-specific websites and groups (VWVortex T4, EV-Update, etc) you will know that this is a common problem, yet nobody has come up with a definitive fix for it. Believe me, when someone finds a fix, it will ripple through this small EVC community, as it is such a common problem. But I am surprised that nobody has experimented with earlier ECMs (or if they have, the results haven't been positive and publicized!)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I I know what you said,, I also studied my VW problem for more than 4 months to ask some many different people and on most of web-site. This is almost my final choice. I mean if you don't know the solution, you not suppose to answer my question.
My ECM not in working condition, not start, won't crank,,from one mechanic tow to another mechanic already ..
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
If it doesn't crank, that has nothing to do with the ECM- the starter is activated by the ignition switch and relay. But I presented the most common issue with this year and earlier Eurovan ECMs, which is the fuel pump circuit- there was no way I could have known that you had already tried to address that with someone else. If you want you can opt me out and see if anyone else out there has a solution.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question from the beginning is talk about CPU issue. How I can opt you out for another guy..?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can not answer my question, why you try to take it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
My question is very clear is my VW Rialta, ( Eurovan ) CPU doesn't working, try to find VW Specialist for solution.
Expert:  Cardoctor74 replied 1 year ago.
Ok different expert here sorry you are having some trouble here. Many many issues with these Ecus failing as well as the ECU harness getting damaged. The ECU was replaced as well as the harness and connectors checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where can find that ECU OR REFURBISH SERVICE ?
Ebay or a salvage yard will have the ECU if needed. You can also use this company with good success.
ClickHere
Hoped this helped. Please rate excellent service so I can get Credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated. Have a safe and Happy Holiday!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your info, but, ebay and other auto supply, even VW Dealer they don't have this one for long time. And you suggest the web site, they don't have either..so, your answer didn't help any...
The Web Site I gave you will rebuild your damaged ecu and make it new again. That's what needs to be done e for this issue. Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get Credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated. Have a safe and Happy Holiday!