VWDoc
VWDoc, Independent VW Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with VW's. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

Volkswagen Passat 1.8t: I have a 2000 passat 1.8 turbo ATW,

I have a 2000 passat 1.8 turbo ATW, timing belt broke, replaced head, belt, and tensioner, now it won't start. It tries but won't kick over, checked and rechecked timing, not the problem, does anything need to be reprogrammed, or reset? I run a small shop with over 12 yrs expiriance and never seen anything like this, can someone help me please?

VWDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

VWDoc :

I'm hoping you're able to get into live chat so that I can ask a few questions

VWDoc :

I'll need to know *exactly* how you set up cam timing as well

VWDoc :

I'd also like to know if the MIL lights up when you turn the key on

VWDoc :

and have you scanned for codes

VWDoc :

I'll keep the live chat open for 5 more minutes, and then move to email format

VWDoc :

ok, changing formats. Please let me know if you haven't been able to read my questions back to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Jason , sorry for the tardy response, had so issues with connection, however to answer your questions, the cam timing is set to the notch on cam cover and the notch on the cam wheel, they were aligned with the half tooth difference that I have noted before. The mil does light up and goes out during cranking, and I have checked for codes and none are present. the engine attempts to start but it just won't kick over, it is the darnest thing I have seen yet, I also check the crank and cam sensors for return signal and both are sending output. One thing I did notice is the reference voltages are different cam has 5 volt and crank has 2.5 volt, is this normal?
Crank sensor should also have a 5v reference. Can you check voltage at pin 82 and pin 90 of the engine ECU under the left wiper pivot?

And you're sure you're dead-on with the crankshaft mark?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll check the voltages and reply ASAP, the crand pulley groove is right on the arrow at the timing cover, and I placed a small extension in #1 cyl to conferm tdc.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Both pin 82 and 90 have 2.5 volts, with and without crank sensor connected.
Voltage between terminals 1 and 3 on the crank sensor connector (unplugged) should be at least 4.5v. Sounds like you've got a bad ECU, unfortunately.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Jason, that's what I was afraid of, the voltage is 2.5 between 1 and 3 at the sensor connector, unplugged. So thanks again for all of your help!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Oh one other question, can I put a used ecu in this car or not?
If the car does not have this light on the cluster when you first turn the key on, no problem with a used ECU.