Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', VW Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Line Mech-, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.

I have a 1966 VW Bug. It has a 6 volt battery. The car readily starts first thing in the

I have a 1966 VW Bug. It has a 6 volt battery. The car readily starts first thing in the morning. However, after driving for a half hour in hot weather, I cannot restart the car. The engine will barely turn over. If I wait a half hour, the car can start with some effort. Longer waits make restarting easier. What is wrong???"
Category: VW
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for using J/A / Pearl
My answer is below.

Please understand, the site makes me post the following:

"Please only rate my answer if you are satisfied with the service I have provided.
If you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have, because this will result in a negative mark on my feedback record.
I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Instead, please simply reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT link with the issue you have.
I am happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek."
My answer may not be to your liking, but is a correct & honest answer.
Many times the only fix will be by Dealer or Shop, so please do not hold that against me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I wait a half hour, the car can start with some effort. Longer waits make restarting easier. What is wrong???"

Many times the answer will be changing the Battery to "8 Volt" & also installing a New or Reputable Rebuilt Starter.
Be sure to "polarize Generator" also
When the engine gets hot, there is a lot of friction. Components get tight, Fuel is harder to ignite, etc.
If you are using the stock Coil, you may want to opt for a High Energy / Output Coil.
Change the Plugs to a colder range plug
Retard Timing 1 - 2 degrees

If you need further, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer...............

If not, you must Rate my answer for me to recieve some compensation, as that is how a recieve a small portion of the Deposit................thank you

Don 'Mo Lurch', VW Mechanic
Experience: Heavy Line Mech-, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.