Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, Master tech. 10+ , SAE member
30385560

i need a fuse box diagram for a 2001 vw golf to find which

Customer Question

i need a fuse box diagram for a 2001 vw golf to find which fuse is for the radio backlight
Category: VW
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

There is no fuse just for the backlight. There are two fuses for the radio, one behind the radio and one on the fuse panel.

Click here for diagram

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What can I do to stop the radio backlight draining the battery overnight? The fuse layout does not match that in the vehicle. Is there a difference between a r and l hand drive?
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

What country are you in?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
UK
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

I do not have a diagram for a UK car, and they may very well be different. I am going to have this moved to the UK Car and see if an expert from your area can get one.

Thanks

Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome!
I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry.
Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.

which exact engine and gearbox do you have? (petrol, diesel etc...)?
is this an aftermarket radio, or factory?
only radio is lit, or other things as well?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The engine is petrol 1598cc. The radio is factory installed. The backlight on the instrument panel behaves correctly and goes out when the engine is off and the ignition key is removed. Just the radio backlight stays on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Billy

petrol, 1598cc,factory fitted, only radio is lit.

Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mike,

MY apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

The fuse assignment is for your model. The fuse box is the one on dashboard:
click here

So removing fuse 42 should sort this.

However, you should be careful as removing this fuse, will cut power off the radio. So the radio will request code once reconnected.

The problem is most likely with the radio itself. However, i would disconnect the battery negative cable for a minute to reset the central electrical module, which feeds the radio, as this might sort the issue.
If you remove the radio, make sure its plugs and connectors have tight and clean contacts.

Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more info...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/
And do not forget to check out the other categories (health, law, taxes, vet, etc...)

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Billy. I will try this. In a previous attempt to pull fuses to sort this out, i have a spare 5A fuse and I dont know where it should be replaced. Which fuse positions have a 5A fuse? Also, the dash board indicator light for the airbag is lit. Does this mean they are inactive. Which fuse controls the airbags?

Thanks for your help so far.

Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mike,

You should look on the fuse details i sent, this should contain all the fuse assignments for the dashboard fuse box.
And in that box, fuses that should be 5 amp are: 3, 6, 9, 10, 11, 15, 22, 23.

The airbag light being on, means the airbags are not operating (de activated).

No fuses are assigned for the airbag system.

To check the airbag, you need to hook on to a diagnostics computer, to retrieve the fault codes, as these should identify the faulty component(s) to be checked accordingly.

Regards,
Billy